There’s a lot of buzz these days about the importance of establishing a morning routine—and for good reason.
A morning routine can:
- Improve health and well-being
- Increase happiness
- Reduce stress
- Promote inner focus and calm
- Facilitate optimum productivity
…not to mention the fact that a good morning routine can set the tone for your entire day. It’s the ultimate form of self-care because it’s your sacred time to ensure your physical, mental, and spiritual needs are being prioritized and tended to.
How to Design Your Ideal Morning Routine
So what kind of morning routine can YOU create to set yourself up for your most successful day? There’s really no one-size-fits-all when it comes to morning routines. Your routine should be customized to you and your unique needs. To figure out what your routine should look like, ask yourself the following questions:
- What fills me up?
- What gives me energy?
- What makes me happy?
- What makes me feel most prepared to take on the day?
Maybe reading fills you up, stretching for 15 minutes gives you energy, having a snuggle session with your pet makes you happy, and reviewing your calendar and to-do list make you feel most prepared to take on the day.
Or maybe meditating fills you up, your favorite green smoothie gives you energy, having a clean kitchen makes you happy, and rocking out to an upbeat song makes you feel most prepared to take on the day.
Need help coming up with ideas? Here are 30 habits to consider incorporating into your morning routine:
- Take a brisk walk
- Call a loved one
- Listen to an inspiring podcast
- Set your intention for the day with an affirmation card
- Create a ritual of gratitude
- Stretch/do yoga
- Go for a run
- Listen to mood music
- Down a glass of water with lemon
- Make a cup of your favorite coffee or tea
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Diffuse an energizing essential oil
- Make your bed
- Sit outside
- Do a crossword puzzle
- Read the paper
- Tidy your living space
- Snuggle your human or fur child
- Write out your to-do list for the day
- Have a dance party
- Start a skincare regimen
- Take vitamins/supplements
- Head to the gym or a workout class
- Talk to your inner child
- Set the timer and spend 30 minutes on a passion project
- Take 3 minutes to do deep cleansing breaths
Once you’ve given some thought to what fills you up, gives you energy, makes you happy, and prepares you to take on the day, use this to create the foundation of your morning routine and commit to doing each one every single morning before you start your day. Depending on how much time you have available, we recommend allotting 30 – 60 minutes to performing these four actions.
To ensure you stick to your daily morning routine, we highly recommend writing your routine down and posting it somewhere you’ll see it often. Download our free morning routine printable below to help you make your morning routine a cherished daily habit and tap into your full potential.